Certified Copies of Documents

When you apply you will be asked to upload scanned copies of original documents at 200dpi resolution in pdf or jpeg format (uploading photo's of documents or of copies of documents is not acceptable). If you are not able to upload original documents, you can send certified copies by post to TQI or present the originals in person at TQI offices, see Contact Us.

All documents you provide to TQI must be in English. If the original is not in English, a certified copy of the original and a version translated by NAATI or a government certified or accredited translator must be included.

Applying from outside Australia? You need to read Applying from a country outside Australia?

You will need to take the original document to someone who can certify it (in some cases they will make the photocopy but take copies with you just in case). They must then:

  1. sight the original to ensure both are identical
  2. write on or stamp the copy with a confirmation like ”I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true copy of the original”
  3. write their name, signature and date of signing on the copy and put their business stamp on each page under the confirmation
  4. provide their contact details, including postal address, telephone number and position/occupation.

Important notes:

  • If the document is more than one page, all pages must be separately certified.
  • The certification must be on the actual copy, not on the back or another page attached to the copy.
  • Certified copies must include original signatures and stamps.
  • Copies of certified copies will not be accepted.
  • Faxed, scanned or emailed copies are not acceptable except where approval has been given by TQI.
  • If any of the documents are in a language other than English, they must be accompanied by an English translation prepared by an accredited translator.


If you attended a university that provides qualifications online in English, you can make these available to TQI instead of sending certified copies.

It’s easier than you think to find someone to certify a document. You can take your originals to any branch of Australia Post where a member of staff should be able to copy and certify your document/s. There are other people who can certify documents, including (but not limited to):

  • a full-time teacher, Principal or Deputy Principal at a school or tertiary education institution
  • a registered and practicing nurse, physiotherapist, dentist, medical practitioner, pharmacist, veterinary surgeon
  • a legal practitioner
  • a bank officer with five or more continuous years of service
  • a police officer
  • a Justice of the Peace.

Click here for a full list of approved people who can certify a document PDF icon (387 KB) who can certify a document RTF Small (73 KB)

If you are applying for TQI teacher registration from a country outside Australia and need to get your documents certified, you have two options:

  1. Find someone employed in an occupation included in the approved list PDF icon (387 KB) approved list RTF Small (73 KB), e.g. a doctor, police officer, teacher or lawyer, who is professionally registered or enrolled in Australia. They may be living and working in your country temporarily.
  2. Visit the Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate and have an appropriate officer certify your documents.


If you attended a university that provides qualifications online in English, you can make these available to TQI instead of sending certified copies.

TQI will accept copies of documents that are certified by a:

  • Certified Practicing Accountant or Chartered Accountant
  • Commissioner for Oaths, Justice of the Peace or Notary Public
  • Magistrate, judge or solicitor
  • Medical practitioner (doctor)
  • School Principal.

They must be licensed or registered under law in your country to practice their occupation and must include these details when certifying the documents.

Back to Top