The ACT Teacher Quality Institute Act
The ACT Teacher Quality Institute (TQI) is an independent statutory authority established by the ACT Teacher Quality Institute Act (2010) (the Act) to build the professional standing of ACT teachers and to enhance the community’s confidence in the teaching profession through professional regulation and practical initiatives to raise teacher quality.
TQI statutory functions
TQI functions as set out in section 11 of the Act are to:
- register or grant permits-to-teach to eligible people
- keep a register of, and records relating to, teachers working or intending to work in the ACT
- promote and encourage the continuous professional learning and development of teachers, and increased levels of skill, knowledge, expertise and professionalism
- determine standards for, facilitate and issue directions for, the ongoing professional learning and development of teachers
- develop and apply codes of practice about the professional conduct of teachers
- determine standards, including assessment and certification standards, for the profession, and
- accredit education programs for pre-service and in-service teachers.
Mutual recognition legislation
If you are currently registered to teach in another Australian state or territory or New Zealand (with Practising Certificate), you can apply for registration at the same level under mutual recognition provisions.