The ACT Teacher Quality Institute (TQI) is an independent statutory authority established by the ACT Teacher Quality Institute Act 2010 to build the professional standing of ACT teachers and to enhance the community’s confidence in the teaching profession through professional regulation and practical initiatives to raise teacher quality.
TQI is charged with integrating standards-based quality measures into professional regulation as teachers enter and progress through career stages in the profession in order to enhance student outcomes. TQI emphasises collaboration across school sectors and between teachers, schools and universities. TQI promotes continuous professional learning and development and the professionalism of all teachers in the ACT.
In performing its statutory functions, TQI delivers the following range of services to all sectors of school education, ACT universities providing teacher education and the teaching profession in the ACT:
- professional regulatory services
- quality assurance of initial teacher education and professional learning
- advice and training on standards and certification, accreditation of programs and teacher registration
- facilitation of collaborative practice
- promotion of continuing development and professionalism.