Welcome to the ACT Teacher Quality Institute
The ACT Teacher Quality Institute (TQI) was established by the ACT Government under the ACT Teacher Quality Institute Act 2010 (the Act) to raise the standing of the teaching profession in the ACT and to strengthen the quality and sustainability of the teaching workforce.
Its purpose is to:
- uphold the standards of the teaching profession in the ACT
- provide quality assurance processes to support the delivery of education in schools in a professional and competent way by approved teachers
- recognise, develop and promote professional learning
- maintain community confidence in the teaching profession.
The Teacher Quality Institute (TQI) is responsible for:
- professional registration of teachers
- accrediting education courses for pre-service teachers and teachers
- certifying teachers against national professional standards
- developing and applying a code of professional practice for teachers
- working closely with employers to promote continuous professional learning by teachers.
Links to employers of ACT teachers are available here.